11 Books to Inspire Your Inner Makeup Artist
Whether you religiously follow along with YouTube tutorials, or you’re still trying to get the hang of applying mascara without poking your eye out, we’ve all got a beauty maven in us. You don’t need a trip to Sephora to gain some in-depth beauty knowledge. Unleash your skills with some fiercely inspiring reads that will teach you how to master all of your makeup brushes.
1. Bobbi Brown Makeup Manual: For Everyone from Beginner to Pro ($13): Let the queen of beauty herself, Bobbi Brown, give you some useful lessons on everything from the tools you need to the perfect eyeshadow palettes for your skin tone. This book gives you an easy start to your beauty journey.
2. Making Faces ($12): It’s safe to say that the makeup legends do it best. A heavy hitter in the beauty field, Kevyn Aucoin put his highly coveted secrets in writing. Create an endless array of themed looks with easy-to-follow tips, full-page illustrations and before and after transformations that will blow you away.
3. Love, Lashes and Lipstick: My Secrets for a Gorgeous, Happy Life ($20): You may know Mally Roncal for roaming the backstage of runway shows, prettying up the faces of countless models and celebs. The A-list celebrity makeup artist has a seriously positive personality and is all about beauty on the inside as well as the outside.
4. Make Up: Your Life Guide to Beauty, Style and Success — Online and Off ($17): Michelle Phan is a business fiend who has proven herself to be a beauty force to be reckoned with. From edgy costume makeup looks inspired by Game of Thrones characters to rocking a timeless golden glow, Michelle’s got your back.
5. Make-up Masterclass: Beauty Bible of Professional Techniques and Wearable Looks ($16): Jemma Kidd is famous for her trendy take on makeup, but there are some classic tricks in here too. The photography illustrates timeless looks for women of all ages and backgrounds. As the founder of a top UK beauty school, you can bet she knows what she’s talking about.
6. Don’t Go to the Cosmetics Counter Without Me ($16): Don’t get too caught up in the title — this easy reader will take you from drugstores to high-end retailers. Paula Begoun, aka the Cosmetics Cop, focuses on educating readers about the harmful and harmless ingredients in some of their favorite products. You will definitely have a new outlook and vocabulary when it comes to shopping for your makeup kit.
7. Alex Box ($130): As the creative director of luxury beauty brand Illamasqua, Alex Box is obsessed with color. A true visionary leader, her namesake book is just as exuberant and vibrant as you would imagine. If you’re more of a visual learner, there’s no doubt you’ll feed off a book like this for your next sensational creations.
8. About Face ($18): With a cover star like JLo, you know you’re in for a treat. Scott Barnes’s epic transformational lesson will take you on a journey of discovery. Got problems contouring, or want to create shadows? Step-by-step photos will make it easy to learn even the most difficult tricks.
9. Lauren Conrad Beauty ($14): Reality queen-turned-style icon Lauren Conrad is serving up classic tips and tricks. With a detailed walk-through of beauty, hair and makeup looks, Lauren Conrad lets you go behind the scenes of some of her best routines.
10. Love, Tanya ($20): This tome chronicles the journey of a beauty vlogger. With millions of subscribers and followers, Tanya Burr gives you a sneak peek into her life of love, makeup, friendship and travel. Part dream journal, part beauty guide, Tanya Burr will push you to look and feel glam.
11. How to Look Expensive ($17): Beauty editor Andrea Pomerantz Lustig delivers her must-know secrets to “getting gorgeous without breaking the bank.” Covering everything from skin care to budgeting options, Andrea not only helps you develop fabulous habits, but also keeps you from splurging.
What are some of your favorite beauty books to flip through for inspiration and tips? Tell us in the comments below!